However, growing up wasn't always peas, carrots, and endless calcium consumption, because on special days (aka my mom or nanny were too busy) my brother and I would get to bust out the ketchup for some delicious and not-so-nutritious Kraft Dinner.
This, on the other hand, doesn't even compare to the cheap boxed crap with god knows what as "cheese" flavouring :/. Get hungry because you might be here for a while.
Creamy Vegan Mac n "Cheese"
Lightly adapted by Oh She Glows
This mac n' cheese is not your average KD box. It's dairy-free and includes three veggies, healthy fat, and organic gluten-free pasta. Even without ketchup, I was an instant fan.
- Approx 300 – 350 grams uncooked macaroni, shell pasta, or other (I used gluten-free shell pasta, which worked like a charm)
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 cups raw cashews (soaked for an hour, if possible)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used ½ soy and ½ water as almond milk is so expensive here)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (also known as savory yeast flakes, found at most health food stores)
- 1 tsp regular mustard
- ¼ tsp turmeric (adds a deeper yellow colour)
- 1 slice whole wheat bread (I used 1 small whole wheat pita, as I had it on hand)
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance or other non-dairy butter
- Pepper to taste
- Paprika, to garnish the crunchy topping
- Fresh parsley, to garnish (optional, but it looks pretty and adds a nice flavour)
Note: There is no salt used in this recipe. Both the nutritional yeast and mustard compensate for any additional salt needed. You'll find I prefer to use minimal, if any, salt and oil in my cooking.Directions
Preheat oven to 350F (200C) and set aside a small casserole dish. In a medium sized pot add your chopped veggies (potato, carrot, onion) and enough water so the veggies are covered. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
Meanwhile, prepare your crunchy bread topping. Combine 1 slice of bread and 1 tbsp of non-dairy butter until crumbs forms form in a food processor. Place in a small bowl and move on to your cheese sauce (best part).
Begin your cheese sauce by adding the cashews to your food processor. Process until it’s broken down to crumbs then add the rest of your cheese sauce ingredients (almond milk, garlic, lemon, yeast, mustard, turmeric, and pepper).
Once your veggies are ready, drain and add to your cheese sauce mixture. Process until smooth and creamy. You may have to stop to scrap down the sides of your processor.
Cook your pasta according to packaged directions. Once cooked, drain and rinse with cold water.
Now for the best part, add your pasta back into the pot and mix in your cheese sauce. I added another splash of non-fat soymilk to make it extra creamy. Once your sauce is fully incorporated scoop into your casserole dish, sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture, garnish with paprika and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 350F (200C). Top with chopped parsley, Tabasco, or ketchup, and ENJOY!
After dinner I made myself a pot of organic peppermint tea to ease digestion and calm my carb overload :P
Tomorrow at 7AM I'm hitting my Uni gym for a weight circuit workout, then I'm spending the day reading and essay planning before two hours of class, from 5-7PM. It's a busy week, but fortunately tasty meals aren't falling short ;)
Gotta be kid, gotta be
KD vegan mac n' cheese.
What are your favourite or not-so-favourite childhood meals? Anything you've recreated to be a healthier option?